Sunday, May 22, 2016

New Nutrition Facts Labels

I am crazy excited this morning! Why, you say? Well, because Michelle Obama is the bees knees and after years of fighting for new FDA food labeling, a victory has finally occurred! The Nutrition Facts labels you see everyday on your pre-packaged foods are changing. Check it out.



The new fonts and added bolding is awesome, but the truly awesome part? LOOK AT THE ADDED SUGARS. This shows how much sugar the manufacturer added to the product. So many people in our country don't understand how much sugar sneaks in to their every day food choices. I remember when I first cut cane sugar from my diet and would find so many hidden sugars! Just yesterday I was looking at maybe trying a new protein bar for after races and so many had the first ingredient of SUGAR - tapioca syrup, brown rice syrup, cane sugar, honey, you name it. I don't mind a natural sugar every now and then (goodness knows I'm addicted to honey!), but when something already had dates or other dried fruit in it? Yuck. 

Anyways, I'm rambling, but isn't this awesome? Also another major change - look at the nutrient breakdown. Instead of just telling you the percentage, they now have to tell you the actual amounts in the item.

LOVE THIS! Way to go, Michelle Obama and all the others who have been fighting against major food processors like the Sugar Association for years. Your effort is very much appreciated.



Source: The Washington Post 

No comments:

Post a Comment