Saturday, May 14, 2016

Smoothie of the Week: Mister Meg

Ee! So excited to be sharing my first "Smoothie of the Week" recipe. 

This is my favorite way to start the day as I’m generally not SUPER hungry first thing in the morning (along with a cup of tea or coffee!). I then have a “2nd breakfast” (Yes, I am part hobbit.) around 9:30/10 that is high in protein & fat to fuel me through lunch.

How do you start your day? Do you do bulletproof coffee like my husband? Do you love your green smoothie? I’m a huge fan of the recipes in Simple Green Smoothies (grab your own copy!) and because of those two wonderful women, I definitely have a green smoothie habit.  

And now on to the recipe... This recipe is named Mister Meg in honor of my awesome pilates instructor Tom, who loves nutmeg and got harassed about it. No one should get harassed about nutmeg. Nutmeg rocks.

Mister Meg (single serve Ninja blender size cup)


1-2 cups of spinach - do what you like. I like about 1.5 cups.
¾ of a pear (I always give the extra to the kids. ;))
¼ tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp of cinnamon
¾ tsp maca root powder
1 TB chia seeds
½ TB golden flax meal
½ TB of coconut oil
1 scoop collagen (this is the kind I use)
Water or coconut water to desired density - I do 1/2 cup, but I like a slightly thicker smoothie. If it doesn’t blend well, add more.


Now, you know your blender better than I do. For me, I just throw this in my single serve Ninja and let it rip. Some blenders work better by doing the water & greens first then the additional ingredients.











7 comments:

  1. Yum! What's the maca root powder give to it? Nutrients? Flavor? Will have to try. I've been drinking mostly smoothies for breakfast lately because I have these horribly annoying Invisalign braces that I have to deal with - an extra 15 minutes of flossing and brushing if I want to eat my usual nutrient-dense foods. :/ I love the nutmeg in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The maca root provides an energy boost and it's yummy! :) It has kind of a malty flavor. I really like to add it to chocolate smoothies especially. Yum yum yum.

      Ugh yeah, with invisaligns, I can totally see the need for a smoothie to start the day. Just make sure you're adding a bunch to it to make it a meal replacement - fats, proteins, etc. :)

      Delete
    2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE malt-y tastes. Will have to get some quick! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, yes you are part hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been making "reasonable facsimiles" of your smoothie all last week but finally got some maca root powder. Had most of the ingredients here at home at the same time too (though too lazy to measure most of the stuff), so I mostly had what you posted - freaking delicious. Nutmeg + cinnamon + maca was incredible. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been making "reasonable facsimiles" of your smoothie all last week but finally got some maca root powder. Had most of the ingredients here at home at the same time too (though too lazy to measure most of the stuff), so I mostly had what you posted - freaking delicious. Nutmeg + cinnamon + maca was incredible. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete